Recognizing the potential of space-based geodetic techniques, in particular the GNSS and DGNSS reference station networks, for the use of a modern and precise continental reference frame in Eurasian tectonic plate, to reach interoperability between different countries, the Symposium adopted the following recommendations:
- Use the reference frame ITRFxx and for special applications ETRS89 aligned to ITRS.
- Taking into account the progress made by EUREF and EUPOS in Central and Eastern Europe, and the willingness to follow this experience by other Eurasian countries, the Symposium encouraged countries to join EUPOS and EUREF activities in an appropriate way.
- To include in the program of the upcoming EUPOS/... Symposia in the field of Global Navigation Satellite Systems, supported by the UN, some brief tutorials intended to provide the participants with the basic concepts related to Terrestrial Reference System definition, Terrestrial Reference System realizations, and network infrastructures for providing access to the Terrestrial Reference Frames. Tutorials should be understandable even for those participants not fully familiar with geodetic theory.
- The Symposium recognized the need to continue organizing, in cooperation with UNOOSA, training courses and workshops on themes of Reference Networks establishment and exploitation of the existing (GPS, GLONASS) and prospective (Galileo, Compass) GNSS as well.
The Symposium noted that countries can benefit as a partner in EUPOS by
- Economical and technical advantages, which are offered by a “full-scale accuracy” ground-based DGNSS augmentation infrastructure with unified standards, suitable for any application based on GNSS, which covers large regions of the Eurasian plate, e.g. reduced costs;
- Implementation and provision of the DGNSS infrastructure in the country to enable the use of key-technologies for different kinds of applications;
- Gaining influence with regard to technical improvements and standardizations invented as a partner in EUPOS;
- Exchange and distribution of knowledge and expertise of the EUPOS community;
- Transfer of applications which are tested and introduced in other EUPOS countries; and
- Cross-border use of reference stations of neighbouring countries.
The Symposium recommended to countries:
- To relate the national geodetic reference frame activities to the realization of the global terrestrial reference system ITRS;
- To participate in the work of the IAG services to realize a global terrestrial reference system; and
- To cooperate with the IAG SC 1.3 or its sub-commissions e.g. SC1.3a for national reference system solutions.
The Symposium emphasizes that countries can benefit from the cooperation and contribution to IAG and IAG sub-commissions by
- Participating in the technical development of geodesy and geosciences;
- Getting information about the tectonic processes of their country areas; and
- Exchange and distribution of knowledge and expertise of the scientific geodetic community.
The participants of the Symposium, which took place in Berlin from 30th November to 2nd December, 2009,
express their cordial thanks to the organisers of the Symposium, particularly EUPOS and the Senate Department for Urban Development of the State of Berlin, for holding such a successful meeting.
Download as pdf-file